Monday, October 22, 2007

A Good Day

Today was a good day. We woke up to temperatures 25 degrees cooler than the day before. My mom came over to play with Ella and Piper while I took Hunter to have allergy testing done.

Hunter commented on the way to school, after his doctor's appointment, how much fun we'd had together this morning. I had to agree. Sounds strange that we had fun while he got about 40 pricks on his back, but we really did. Turns out he's allergic to quite a bit, and we are to do a 2 week elimination diet where he doesn't eat wheat, corn, milk, oats, or soy. Oh, he's going to love this! Oh, and peanut butter, he's allergic to peanuts - the very food I send EVERYDAY with him to school for lunch. It's not a severe allergy, but I probably shouldn't be feeding it to him on a daily basis.

We picked up Hunter from school and went straight to Madeleine's b-day party at the ice skating rink. Madeliene was born almost exactly 9 months before Hunter. I've watched her grow up along with Hunter, and have shared this parenting journey with her mama, Linda. Scott, me, Linda, and her husband Greg were all friends in Singles Sunday School class, way back when. Way back before we were married, before kids, before our first houses, and then our next houses. To say that we've shared a lot together would be the understatement of the decade. Linda and I talk on the phone several times a week and solve most of the worlds problems each time. Now, if we could only solve our own, maybe we wouldn't have to talk so much!

I kind of had a "moment" seeing Hunter and Madeleine out on the ice, working really hard to not fall! Could it be? Could all this time really have passed? I don't know why, but I distinctly recall, and I have the worst memory, being in the elevator in the hospital, with my little gift in hand, going up to see Linda and Greg, and of course Madeleine right after her birth. I remember being so excited to see her. I remember being glad that I could feel so excited, while still feeling the sting of our two miscarriages. I had no idea at the time, but I was almost 2 weeks pregnant with Hunter that day.

Ella's take away from the day, (remember she just turned 5) "Mommy, I'm going to have my birthday party at THE ICE SKATING RINK!" moment of realization, then, "I mean I'm going to have my eight year old b-day party at THE ICE SKATING RINK. This is going to be hard to remember. Mommy, you have to remember with me!" So, because I have such a bad memory, let's review and record it here...her six year old party- dress up party, seven year old party-THE ZONE, eight year old party-ICE SKATING. I'm glad we have that settled.

All that to say, today was a good day.

1 comment:

Peapod Four said...

Yikes! I hope his allergies aren't too bad. 40 pricks on the back sounds just awful!