Friday, May 30, 2008

Feeling Grateful


Our Hunter(7) just completed his first grade year and brought home his report card today. I teared up(SURPRISE) when I read the comments by his teacher and looked over a year full of all E's and 3's (1st grade code for wonderful).

Here's what Mrs. C. had to say:
"Hunter continues to excel in all areas. His story writing is amazing whether it be research based or fiction. His writing voice is developing and makes his writing pieces quite enjoyable to read! It has been a true pleasure to teach Hunter. He is a wonderful boy!"

That last sentence is what got me. It does a mama's heart good to know that his teacher sees him as we do - a wonderful boy. Of course I am thrilled that he does so well in school, but we are most excited about who he is. Every one of his teachers at school and even teachers he doesn't have stop me, and remark on what a good kid he is. His teacher this year has developed Hunter so much, I could never thank her enough. When Hunter started the year he did not enjoy writing very much at all. She used the Writer's Workshop approach and Hunter ate. it. up. - loved it. She did lots of science and projects, Hunter's forte, and encouraged him and challenged him all along the way.

You know I have a hard time with goodbyes. I really hate saying goodbye to Hunter's 1st grade year, but it makes it a little more bearable knowing that in a week we'll be in the Colorado mountains - yippee!!!
I'll sign off with a little note his teacher sent home that I think is worth sharing:
Inside each of you is something very special.
It grows each time you face a fear - Courage.
It grows each time you admit you were wrong - Character.
It grows each time you allow someone else to shine - Humility.
It grows each time you learn something new - Knowledge.
Keep Growing!

No comments: