Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Love, Pain and the Whole Crazy Thing...

We met with my mom's doctor yesterday who was very thorough and spent a long time explaining everything to us with diagrams and charts. Lots and lots of details and explanations. She will have an MRI tomorrow after my dad's chemo, which will help make some decisions about her treatment. She will for sure have surgery, and the rest will be determined by the MRI and a genetic test. Her sister died of breast cancer, and several other markers point to a possible genetic link. Of course this would affect my brother and I, as well as our children. Those results will take about 2 weeks to come in.
This is so unreal in a way, and it is becoming a normal part of life in a way. People want to know how we are coping. I wish I could answer that, but it changes daily. This very moment I'm ok. I just talked to my mom and she said she was taking a break from all of it today since tomorrow would be full of cancer related activities. Normal life does march on, Christmas gifts to be bought (or grown- a post coming about that), trees to be decorated, and a family that still require 3 meals a day, I still can't get over how regular they are.
Having small children during a time like this is both challenging and healing. They force me to be in the moment with them and take mental breaks from it all. At the same time, there are times I just need some quiet, alone time to process my thoughts and get it all in perspective. Thankfully I have a husband who understands that and works very hard to give me some time. God's ways are higher than ours, and I believe that with all my heart. He has allowed this season for a purpose, and I must surrender my wish for it to be different, knowing He can be trusted.
Hunter and Ella are at school, Piper is asleep and I am going to go lay on the couch, soak in the quiet and talk it all over with God...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a great mom...always seem to know the right things to say with your children & to our family too.
R&L (mom)