Monday, March 10, 2008



Ok, my heart is complete mush, it's official.

A couple of nights ago we were sitting around the table eating dinner when Piper(22 months old) started naming everyone at the table:
"Hun - ter, El-la, Momeee, Dadeeee, Je - sus!"
We had never heard her say His name before, and we all just stopped and looked at her. Does she see something we don't?!!! Most likely yes. It brought to mind these words from Jesus:

" At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?"
He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
"And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea."

And then this morning, out of the blue, Piper came to me and said, "Thank you, Momeeee." I stopped, got on her level and said "You are welcome, Piper!". She smiled and then said, "Thank you...God!".

It reminded me of my conversation yesterday with Hunter. He'd learned about God's omnipresence at church. We talked about how God is everywhere, in our house, in our hearts, outside, at school, etc..., and then it hit me in a new way...in the orphanage in China. If I really believe as I say I do, I must believe that Jesus was there with Piper, those first 10 months of her life. Hearing her say His name in her sweet little voice was such a blessing to me.

So, yes, my heart is complete mush these days, and I wouldn't have it any other way.




4 comments:

Beth said...

I came over from RIMD b/c of your sweet comment trying to explain why those of us with Chinese daughters love squeaky shoes. You nailed it--it is a right of passage, to be able to bring home even the littlest parts of our daughter's culture--even if they make noise that make others cringe. Thank you for standing in the gap for us!!! [I did not feel the need to comment, I thought yours was absolutely perfect.]

Beth
Mom to Grace
celebrating today, 3/10--the 4th anniversary of the day we got THE CALL and seeing Grace's face for the first time--the best birthday present I could ever receive.

Beth said...

I posted my other comment before I read your post for today since I just popped over from Rocks. I wanted to say...your family is adorable!! I love how Piper is making Jesus part of her day and talking about Him. Mush is right!! We sing a little song to Grace about when she was a baby in China how God watched over her and now that she is a big girl in T*x*s, He still watches over her. She never tires of hearing it. I have sung it to her since we became a family. We have told Grace since day one that Jesus loves her so much that He knew before the world began that she would need a real mommy and daddy and He knew we would need a daughter, so He brought us together. [That is how we differentiate us, we are the real parents and she had birthparents in China] We believe Jesus is the red thread who brought us together.

Happy Monday!!

Beth

Dena said...

Hi Beth!
Thanks for your encouraging your words. I just checked the comments on the RIMD post, and it looks like we are WAY outnumbered!!! Oh well, squeak, squeak!
Love how you explain things to your Grace, I totally agree about Jesus being our red thread - for sure.
Congratulations on your anniversary and Happy Birthday! Thanks for commenting,
Dena

Anonymous said...

Hi Dena, I have come to you through the Tracy Porter blog. I am Dianne,aka Artist in N.C. Welcome to Tracyville as we call it. I have great friends there and you will too. I wanted to tell you that I have 2 adopted children, young adults now. They are not from China but I still feel we have so much in common. It's a long process either way. God bless you as you raise these beautiful children. My 2 just graduated from college last May. You have many steps to take. I pray they will all be blessed. Hugs, Dianne