Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The very same moon



I distinctly remember this time last year. I stood outside in front of our house and soaked up the beauty of the Harvest Moon. I pictured that same moon filling up our soon-to-be daughter's room in her orphanage with it's light. During that time, looking at the moon made me feel more connected to her than anything else. It sounds weird, but just knowing we shared that very same moon, comforted me and made me miss her at the very same time.

We got this message from our wonderful China guide, Xixi(she-she) a few days ago:
"In two days, it will be our Full Moon Festival, like your Thanksgiving, we have to eat the moon cake( normally it is sweet cake) to celebrate.Our moon here, every
night getting rounder and brighter at this full moon festival. Soon it will be the biggest and shiniest among the whole year!!"

Last night, we went out after dark and soaked in the beauty of the full moon. It's reflected light was so bright, and my heart was full knowing this year Piper is home with us to see it. I still think of China when I see it. I can picture so clearly the places we experienced and the people there. I wonder if Piper's birth family is celebrating the Full Moon Festival. It's a very big holiday in China, so they most likely are.

Next year, we have decided we'll have our own family celebration complete with moon cakes and make it a family tradition. In researching the Full Moon Festival, we found out that next month the full moon is called "Hunter's Moon". We now have one very excited 7 year old boy around here! Hunter loves studying about God's creation more than anything else. To have a moon named after him - well, pure delight is an understatement.

So, go outside tonight and soak up the beauty that God has made. To quote John Piper,

"For myself, I think I can say that I never really felt what it meant to love God until I had the experience of delighting in some awesome natural phenomena—a night sky, a waterfall in the mountain woods, and a sunrise through an Appalachian mist. I believe nature is the prep-school of our affections, readying them to delight in God."

and,





Psalm 19



The heavens are telling of the glory of God;



And their expanse is declaring the work of his hands.



Day to day pours forth speech,



And night to night reveals knowledge.



There is no speech, nor are there words;



Their voice is not heard.



Their line has gone out through all the earth,



And their utterances to the end of the world.

No comments: